John l.yn wrote:

> Hi:
>
>    I have two question below:
>
>    1. I want to change the resolution of X-windows from 16 color to 24 bit
> color.Help say that using 'alt'-'ctrl'-'+', but it doesnt work.

8, 16, 24, or 32 bits per pixel (bpp) is the "color depth," not the
-resolution-.  The default color depth was chosen when you setup X using
Xconfigurator, XF86Setup, or whatever.  Assuming you have sufficient
video memory for your screen size, use

  startx -- -bpp 24

to have Xwindow start with "24 bit" color.

** Color depth cannot be changed without exiting to the command line. **

>    2. The desktop is too big about 4 times than my screen of monitor. Why? I
> have to move my mouse all around in order to find some thing on the screen.

This is dependent on screen resolution, e.g. 640x480, or 800x600, or
1024x768(?), or....  You chose the allowable resolutions when you setup
X using
Xconfigurator, XF86Setup, or ....  The highest resolution is the only
one that will show the full screen.  That is, if I setup X so that at
16bpp I can have 800x600 or 640x480, I'll have to pan around (using the
pointer/mouse as you describe), while 800x600 will show the "entire
desktop."  The resolution that comes up is the one listed first in
/etc/X11/Xconfig   (I think that's the file Mandrake looks to when you
run startx).  You can view the file by running

less /etc/X11/Xconfig

from the ocmmand line.

Here's what a part of mine looks like.

-=-=-
Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   Device          "My Video Card"
   Monitor         "My Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 16
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600"
      Virtual       1024 768
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        15
      Modes        "1024x768" "800x600"
   EndSubSection
-=-=-

The first resolution listed (as Modes) in the -- SubSection "Display" --
is the resolution that you see when Xwindow starts.  If there are other
resolutions listed on the line they can be achieved using the
Ctl+Alt++(numberpad) that you mentioned.

> Thanks!
> John l.yn

Hope that helps.

Gerry