From: "John l.yn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    I have two question below:
>    1. I want to change the resolution of X-windows from 16 color to 24 bit
> color.Help say that using 'alt'-'ctrl'-'+', but it doesnt work.

     Are you using the '+' on the numpad?  It doesn't work with the '+'
beside the 'backspace.'

>    2. The desktop is too big about 4 times than my screen of monitor. Why? I
> have to move my mouse all around in order to find some thing on the screen.

     This would be your "Virtual Desktop."  You can turn it off by editing your
/etc/X11/XF86Config file.  There are really two ways to do this: you can use
xconf (short for Xconfigurator, I think), or you can edit XF86Config by hand.
Both must be done as root.
      If you choose the first method, you'll have to set up the X server all
over again, including mouse and keyboard layout, etc.  When you get to the
part about screen resolutions & color depths, you'll want to change things.
Pick out the color depth you plan to use, and change the settings for that one.
 I'm not sure if xconf will let you set the default color depth, you may need
to do that by hand.
      When starting, the X server looks at all the resolutions for the color
depth it's in and makes the largest resolution the desktop size.  This way, it
doesn't have to recalculate the desktop size when you change resolutions.
To edit the XF86Config file by hand, start up your favorite text editor.  Pico
is probably the easiest command-line editor to use, or if you're in KDE you
might use the "Text Editor" included with Mandrake.  Once you've loaded
/etc/X11/XF86Config, scroll down until you see  Section "Screen"      Now look
for the particular server you're using.  In here, you can add the line
"DefaultColorDepth <bpp>" where <bpp> is the color depth you prefer (in bits
per pixel).  Once you've added that line, edit the Modes line of the
appropriate "Display" subsection.  The first resolution will be the one that
the X server starts with.  You should be able to get to the other ones using
<Ctrl><Alt><+> or <-> (make sure you use the keys on the Numpad!).

I hope this helps you out some.  Good Luck!
-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>