From: Meanie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> trouble.  I've mostly been using Kppp, and when everything seems to be
> set correctly (/dev/cua2 or /dev/ttys2), I usually get a "Modem is
> busy"... occasionally I get "Modem is not responding" though this is

    Hmmm...  You say that isapnp detects the modem and the sound card
when you start up.  Have you configured any settings for the modem in
isapnp.conf?  If so, what are they? (if not, then select some) Suppose
that it's set for io=3e8 and irq 5--do

% setserial /dev/ttyS2

...and see what it's set to.  If it reports io=3e8, irq 5, and uart of
16550a, you should be fine.  If not, then do one or more of the
following as necessary:

% setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5
% setserial /dev/ttyS2 io 3e8
% setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550a

    Assuming you got no errors with the above commands, start minicom
and set it to /dev/ttyS2.  See if it responds to modem commands.  It
might not, even if everything looks fine to this point (in my case, the
modem didn't respond for 15 seconds or more to a simple "AT").  If it
doesn't respond, change the settings in isapnp.conf to another
configuration and try again.

    Once you have the modem responding correctly in minicom, then try
kppp.