From: walter kalata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I have a similiar problem... although my (ISA PnP) modem has no
jumpers,
> neither does soundcard for that matter, and minicom dials fine... just
very
> slowly, kppp (with a simple "AT"-only init string) inits, then halts
while
> 'setting speaker volume'.

    When you just type "AT" in minicom, what happens?  Does it respond
"OK"?  How long does it take?  If it does respond OK, but takes a long
time, try changing the PnP settings to something using a different IRQ,
and then change setserial accordingly.  It worked for me--I was setting
the modem to 3e8/irq 3, and it took forever to respond.  Once I changed
it to 3e8/irq 5, it worked just fine.  Not quite sure why, but it
worked.