I have a similiar problem... although my (ISA PnP) modem has no jumpers,
neither does soundcard for that matter, and minicom dials fine... just very
slowly, kppp (with a simple "AT"-only init string) inits, then halts while
'setting speaker volume'.
Can this be fixed in BIOS or setserial? any ideas?