Manny Styles [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] said:

>I haven't tried to switch desktops, but after customizing Gnome, I
>really like it and actually perfer it to KDE.  I still do switch
>back and forth though because of the programs that are dependent
>on KDE.  Still very much looking forward to the final release of
>Mandrake 6.0 though.

I was having a problem with X Window in RH 6.0.   After a point,
the desktop environment (GNOME or KDE) would stop working; I couldn't
open any new applications.

Turns out that it was a X authentication problem...   I didn't name
my host, and my dynamic PPP connection would instead provide a
transient name.   Once my host was renamed after a PPP connect,
no additional X clients could access my X server.   Do'h!

Didn't see that problem with Mandrake 5.3 though...   hopefully it
won't appear in Mandrake 6.0.

Anther "problem" with RH 6.0, is that they've changed the DHCP
client from dhcpcd to pump, and pump doesn't work with some cable
modem services (e.g. @Home).   pump doesn't support the DHCP
client identifier option  (the -l switch for dhcpcd).   I would
recommend that Mandrake 6.0 uses dhcpcd instead of pump.

Richard