I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with some tech support on upgrading
to kernel 2.2.7 and mandrake 6.

I was logged in and installing the new rpms that are out at rufus.w3.org and hit a
glitch in KDE.  I was thrown back to the login screen and when I tried to restart KDE,
I received an error and it wouldn't start for me.  I logged in as root and KDE starts
just fine.  I was installing the KDE upgrade packages at the time after having
successfully upgraded the kernel and X11 packages.

The exact error message is as follows:

Authentication failed
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect:  Can't connect:  errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error

This looks like a problem with the pam modules, but I have upgraded them with no luck.
 When I use the root login, startx works just fine, but when I use my login, I get the
above error.

Please help if you can.  Thanks