Steve Philp wrote:

> Bela Lantos wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Since I installed Mandrake 5.3 I have problem with pppd dying unexpectedly
> > because of timeout. Even though I increased timeout to 2 min, it still dies.
> <Snippety snip>

Strange that, I can't even get kppp to work at all. I had to resort to a suite of
home grown shell scripts (Some of them 'borrowed from Debian :-)

> Turn on debugging and see if anything obvious pops up.  Check your log
> files and see if anything is listed there when the connection is
> dropped.

Debugging don't give me any info ('cept the last msg is starting pppd & then
disconnect after a few mins - timeout?)

> Do you need gpm?  It doesn't sound like you're very comfortable at the
> command line, so I'm wondering if it's even necessary for you to run
> it.  If you don't need it, turn it off.

<Snip snippety snip snip>

--Come to think of it, my mouse seems to have been causing xcrashes (PS2) when I
switch from shell to desktop - A device/resource busy error. Anyone else had this
problem? If so, maybe we could identify the trouble; I do use console a lot &
therefore want to keep gpm.

<More snipping>

> Linux on your personal machine IS NOT and will NEVER be like running
> Windows.  Windows allows you to be an end-user.  No sense in worrying
> about where you files are stored or how to configure your POP client to
> retrieve your mail -- Windows will take care of that for you.  Linux
> forces you to be an administrator.  This is a powerful system that
> allows you to undertake tasks in a variety of ways.  It's up to YOU to
> make something of it.

<------8><---->

I know, fun isn't it ;-)

> So quit stomping your feet and tossing a temper tantrum and ask for help
> WITHOUT the "threats" to give up Linux.  You'll get alot further.
>
> --
> Steve Philp
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Martin Barnard