On Tue, 18 May 1999, you wrote:
> > > I also installed Red Hat 6 on another partition. It is missing kpackage and
> > > glint, which is a very ugly error from Red Hat. Pppd works fine as ROOT, but
> > > when I try to bring up kppp the following is the message:
> >
> > What does this have to do with Mandrake, might I ask?  As for it missing
> > kpackage and glint, who REALLY cares?  Glint sucked rocks through a
> > straw!
>
> Thank God I did not install it then ;-)
>
> > Try gnorpm or (horror of horrors!) the command line!  As for
> > kpackage, I tried it with Mandrake and just gave up on it.  While
> > uninstalling packages, it would magically up and lose root privileges
> > every few minutes forcing me to restart the program.  Thanks, but no
> > thanks.
>
> It's rather buggy at uninstalling sometimes. But installation is pretty nice.
> Just click on an rpm file in the kfm window and up it pops. Installs are easy
> too.
>
> However...I prefer the rpm command line...it's more "deterministic" for now.
> (hey, i'm being nice) :-)
>
> > > Do these Linux companies know what they are doing? Since Red Hat received so
> > > much investment, and Mandrake became successful their products are not worth
> > > buying unless you are a programming guru who can fix the ugly errors.
> >
> > This KPPP problem doesn't exist on my copy of Mandrake, and I haven't
> > seen any other postings about 'works as root, not as user' from anyone
> > else in the past 3 or 4 months that I've been using Mandrake.
> >

> I agree...it sounds pretty bad. Even on my worst days it was never that bad for
> me. When you installed Mandrake, did you get any error messages? How about at
> boot time? Might want to look at /var/messages.

I used to do it. There is nothing there.
Pppd is terminated on signal 15. I have no idea what that is.
1. I dial my ISP --> pppd dies unexpectedly (it complains that the server
didn't pass on the required configuration, but it is not sure, it says.
2. I dial again immediately --> it connects without problem.
3. I installed RH 6.0 on another partition. It connects without any problems.
The only trouble with it: you cannot install Star Office 5.0 on it, and
RealPlayer doesn't seem to work either.

Bela