Pliler Main Unit wrote:

> But when I go into the KDE desktop as a user, nothing seems
> to be installed, or working , apps that is.

        Define "nothing".  Lots of stuff is installed w/ mandrake by default
(like netscape)--does that work?  If not, what happens?  If it works but
other stuff doesn't, _what_ other stuff doesn't work, and what happens
when you try?

> I am very frustrated already, as I have a USB modem, and know
> it will never (at least under this config) be supported.
> So how can I even think of giving up MS win98, I cAn't .

        All OSs have a Hardware Compatibility List, and if something isn't on
the list, it's a fair bet it won't work.  If the use of the USB modem
was critical to you, why didn't you check out the Linux HCL before
installing?  Or, just set it up as a dual-boot, and use both OSs as
needed (I think most Linux users set up their machines this way).

> Seems like all users  are supposed to be supergeeks, code writers, &
> programmer's.  NOt just a fairly intelligent guy, like you or me.

        Intelligence has little to do with the it; it's more an issue of
knowledge and attitude.  If you start with the attitude that Linux ought
to work instantly with all your hardware, without any tweaking, no
matter how wierd your hardware is, and that everybody else ought to hand
you all the answers on a silver platter, you won't get far with Linux
(or anything else, most likely).  If you figure from the outset that the
system is very different from Windows (which it is, and always will be,
no matter how close the UI comes), and that you'll need to learn a lot
to be able to use it effectively, you'll do much better.

        As to the "code writers, & programmer's" remark, hardly.  I don't even
think I'm a "supergeek", though some people might disagree with me
there...  For most tasks, you just have to be patient, find, and read
the documentation.  Again, when you set up a Linux box, you _are_ a
system administrator, whether you want to be or not, and you need to act
like one.

> I am ready to bAil, if some one tells me how to delete this LILO,
> so I won't have it on my C drive.

        Boot from a MS-DOS floppy with FDISK.EXE on it, and type FDISK /MBR.

--
Dan Brown, KE6MKS, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good