"Payne-Tingleff, Sam" wrote:

> I believe your BIOS sets the IDE drive as the primary disk by default.
> If there is no IDE present it will attempt to boot off a scsi disk.

        Thanks for the response.  My BIOS is set to (and does) boot SCSI drives
first.  It loads System Commander, from which I choose Win98, Linux,
etc.  Lilo is installed in the superblock of /dev/sda3.

        Might it help if I told the BIOS to not probe for IDE disks at all?
This drive is only used for storage; I don't need to boot from it at
all.  If I did that, would Linux see the drive at all?  Worth trying, I
suppose...

--
Dan Brown, KE6MKS, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good