On Saturday 10 January 2004 16:30, mike wrote:
> Hello,
> I kinda borked up my workstation when I did the kernel updates.
> I have 2 hard drives both on the master ide channel hda and hdb
> hda has dual boot windows and mdk9.2 and hdb has just mdk9.1
> on it. Also hdb used to be hda when its install was done thus it
> believes it was hda. I added a new hard drive and installed windows
> and mdk9.2 edited the lilo.conf on mdk9.2 to mount hdb1 (mdk9.1)
> on /dev/hdb1 in a /mnt/tmp directory like so.
>
> image=/mnt/tmp/boot/vmlinuz
>         label="9.1_linux"
>         root=/dev/hdb1
>         initrd=/mnt/tmp/boot/initrd.img
>         append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht"
>         vga=791
>         read-only
>
> So anyways cruiseing along at very careless warp speed updated
> both kernels and over wrote hda's lilo.conf with hdb's lilo.conf so
> was wondering can I just rewrite my lilo.conf with all the entries
> from both hda and hdb and run lilo and put and identical copy on
> both hda and hdb so I can boot hda again and not confuse the issue
> again?
>
> Or do I need to remove lilo from hdb?
>
> Mike

Mike, early in your lilo.conf there will be a line something like
boot=/dev/hde

That is usually the hddrive on which you have your windows install,
just because windows usually needs to be on the first hdd.  Anyway,
the drive mentioned in that line is where it's looking to start up.

If you have done a default install of 9.1 and 9.2 you will have
separate /boot partitions.  It can only read one, and you need to
know which one it is reading, or to prepare both for reading.  The
way you do that is to rename config, initrd, kernel and vmlinuz with
the kernel version e.g. config would become config-2.4.21-0.13mdk (I
think that's the stock 9.1 kernel).  Then make sure that both /boot
partitions contain copies of each.

At present you are telling it to load vmlinuz, for 9.1.  The trouble
is that vmlinuz may well be pointing to the 9.2 version.  Once you
have copies of each in your /boot you can change these entries to
version specific ones, and all should be well.

If I were you I would try booting from CD1, hitting F1 where you get a
chance to restore your lilo - you don't need one on each drive.  That
should at least get you in again, then you can look at what changes
if any need making to make both versions available.  I don't know
whether it will be able to set it up correctly with the boot
partitions on separate drives, so you may well have to hand edit.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302