On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Don Kelley wrote:

> what I got was a pc that wouldn't boot - when lilo tried to boot the
> old kernel (which I presumed I still had) it would lock up
> immediately.  So I booted from my backup boot floppy, no prob.  I
> tried correcting the lilo.conf file to boot the new kernel (I found
> that most of the old kernel files were now gone from my /boot folder,
> although I had the impression they would still be there in case my new
> kernel wouldn't boot).

rpm -U == install new version, remove all older version. You want to use
rpm -i for kernel updates.

>  when I rebooted I still got the same problem -
> locked up as soon as it said the word "linux" under the lilo prompt.

Did you remember to run lilo after changing lilo.conf?
I'm not aware of any changes between 19mdk and 27mdk that could cause
something like this, and it seems to work for everyone else, too.

> do i need to install the kernelcfg-0.5.6mdk package as well?

No.

> Did I miss something?

Possibly. Is your partition big, or not at the beginning of the disk?
If the kernel was written on a sector farther than 8 GB from the first
sector of the disk, it won't work. This is not a bug, but a limitation in
the x86 BIOS architecture.

LLaP
bero