Almost there! The login script now connects me to MSN and gives me back an
IP address and MTU.
The ppp connection was timing out however so I increased the wait to 60
seconds.
Now I get the following message...
"pppd daemon died unexpectedly"

The log shows the following information...
"receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"
"problem: all had bit 7 to 1"