<The log shows the following information...
<"receive serial link is not 8-bit clean"
<"problem: all had bit 7 to 1"

This sounds like a device error. Which device are you using for the modem?
I have always used a ttyS?? device.

I haven't seen that error message before so I'll just list what I have
found to be important.

In kppp check the following for your MSN account:

DNS

Do you have a "DNS address list"? I use the following 2 addresses:

198.6.1.218
198.6.100.218

Make sure to check "Disable existing DNS Servers"

IP

Make sure "Dynamic IP Address" is checked.
Do not check "Auto-configure hostname..."

Gateway

Check "Default Gateway" and "Assign the Default Route..."

If you are currently hooked up to a network a default route may have been
assigned. After you connect run "route" from a console. If default route
points
to another address other than your ISPs dynamically assigned IP address then
this may be a problem.

Stephen F Brazelton