On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, you wrote:
-I read recently about people on the cable network being able to access other
-users computers if they had the knowledge of a sysadmin.   Likely they were
-also using Linux to do so.  They could see files and everything is a browse
-mode on other people's PCs.

This can be done.  I have done it.

-In the same article they discussed the
-benefits of DSL (digital subscriber line).   One benefit was that this could
-not happen.  A person would have to be at the phone company in the
-switchroom or building or whatever to have this kind of access.   Another
-benefit being that you could use your phone at the same time to make a call
-due to the way the setup worked.   YMMV, but I can't try either since we
-don't have that kind of service in my area yet.   We actually may, but we're
-talking paying an arm and a leg per month for it.

This is not true.  An xDSL connection us just as "dangerous" as a cable
modem.  If a 95 box is allowing unsecured access to the local segment,
it is almost certainly accessible from anywhere.  The only saving grace
of 95 is it doesn't usually run anything worth subverting.  A malicious
attacker could erase the contents of the hard drive if he wanted to.

Sometime scan your local network for ANT boxes running Back Office.  I am
absolutely astounded at the number of people who are running mail and
web services and don't seem to know it.  Spammer havens waiting to
happen.

--
Stephen Carville