On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Sean Brzozowski wrote:

> Can somebody help me to translate following settings into the network
> settings in linux?  I was trying to use netconf with different
> configurations to no avail.
>
> Settings from cable company:
> -------------------------------
> Primary DNS: 111.111.111.111
> Secondary DNS: 111.111.111.111

These are the nameservers, add them to /etc/resolve.conf if your not
running your own cacheing dns server.

> Subdomain address: aaa.nj.home.com

This is the domainname addedd to the end of your hostname

customer-pc.city.state.home.com

> IP address: 111.111.111.111

  you static ip address for the network card

  ^ ignore this it's not needed 'cept on the @home site

> DNS Name: aaaaaaaaa-a

This is your computers name(hostname), breaks down as customer-[abc]

> (of course values are sample)
>
> The way I needed to set it up in Win9x and Win2000:
> Computer name: aaaaaaaaa-a
> Workgroup: @home
> Obtain IP address automatically: checked
> Obtain DNS server address automatically: checked
> DHCP enabled: checked
>
> Please help!
> TIA
> Sean Brzozowski

create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

--
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=24.x.x.x

or use one of the gui setup tools, netcfg or linuxconf