On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Sean Brzozowski wrote:

> Thanks Jo and Axalon,
>
> Unfortunately I still have no luck.  If I setup everything like Axalon
> suggested, ping returns "network is not reachable".  I can ping myself, but
> not anything else.  If I setup "dhcp" bringing up eth0 during boot looks
> similar like setting wrong options in Windows:  send light is blinking
> occasionally, and receive light stays off.  After couple of seconds of this
> linux reports "failed".
>
> I assume that computer name I have to setup is (be gentle for the newbie)
> the very first option in the netconf (I don't remember the name).  Is that
> correct?
>
> Any suggestions :-(
> Sean

See my other postings on dhcp/cable modems if you need to/have to use
dhcp. This is a gateway problem, run winipcfg in winders and find the
default gw and input it in linux(test manualy w/ "route add default gw
x.x.x.x eth0", (any @home techs can stfu, or fix this shitty network you
have us on) in general the @home techs are morons they pulled most of
them over from the lines crews, the only ones worth squat are the
ones that got shipped to @home for training (one from each sub
contracter) If they actualy got dhcp setup i'll be amazed. If your paper
work is like mine the gw is listed on it aside the other info as
DG=x.x.x.x