Axalon wrote:

> Paul, whats your ~/.bashrc look like for the user you restored?
>
> snipped <

Axalon,

There wasn't one. I just copied the one in root's home directory, which
has an 'if /etc/bashrc' statement in it apparently importing the
contents of the one in /etc. I did this as root, logged back in as user
and now I have the prompt I'd like to see.

Thanks so much for your help. This has been a very good little excursion
into configuration stuff I knew nothing about and now I have enough to
be dangerous :-)

I've bookmarked the configuration HOWTO html Richard posted and intend
to read it at some length.

-Paul-