> > /etc/shutdown.allow is a file that contains the names of users aloowed to
> > shutdown the system.  It may not be present on your system yet; you'll
> > have to create it.
>
> My shutdown.allow file is:
>
> "james
> jim
> root"
>
> but only root can issue the shutdown command. When I try it as either other
> user I get the error "bash: shutdown: command not found"

That's because typically only root has the /sbin directory in his path.
Any user (who can get into /sbin) can find the shutdown command.
Consider putting symlinks to shutdown in the ~/bin directories of each
user who should be able to shutdown (that is, assuming that ~/bin is in
everyone's path).

> > Also check /etc/inittab to see if Ctrl-Alt-Del is being caught.  If so,
> > anybody (not just those in shutdown.allow) may shutdown the system via the
> > "three finger salute."  What you might do is change the Ctrl-Alt-Del
> > command to "logout" or something else that's harmless.
>
> My inittab file contains the line
>
> "ca::ctrlaltdel:logout"
>
> but pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing.

I don't know why.