Whoops, I lied.  The list of resolutions is individually defined for each
color depth, so this doesn't make sense: how would you set the default
color depth after you've decided which depth to use?

You need to put that line right ABOVE the first "Display" subsection.  Be
sure it's in the "Screen" section for the server you're using, too.  It
won't do much good if it's in the wrong server section.

If you are not sure which server you're using, go with "svga" first.
That's probably the more common, unless you have asouped-up video card.
Then you might try the "accel" server (Accelerated X server) if SVGA
doesn't work for you.

     -Matt