On 10-Aug-99 Stephan Schutter wrote:
> Why do people insist on using these archaic text editors? Nobody uses edit
> in windows? KDE has several editors. Just point click and type! You guys are
> not telnet-ing to these boxes are you?
>
> Stephan Schutter

I wouldn't consider a typical Windows user as setting an example for how
someone (especially someone using Linux) should use their computer. ;)

There's nothing wrong with using those 'archaic' text editors.  Vi and emacs
are much more efficient and powerful than most (if not all) graphical text
editors.  And they come with the added advantage of being useable under almost
any situation.  If you learn vi (not very difficult once you give it a serious
try) then you really never have to bother with any other text editor.  If you
only use kwrite or gedit or whatever, and suddenly your system gets messed up
and you have to boot with a rescue disk to tweak some things, and you've never
looked at vi in your life... you're screwed.

More importantly, the situation of the original poster is that he was at the
command line because he was having trouble getting X to work.  He needed to
edit a text file had no way of running an X-based program, so the suggestions
of text-based text editors was quite appropriate.