> I haven't heard of usercfg until your message.  As for adding a user, you
> type:
>
> #adduser "newusername"  (no quotes)
> #passwd "newusername"
>
> After typing the second command, it will ask you to enter the new password
> twice to confirm it.
> Log out, then log in with the new user, and you should have access to the
> common programs (things that won't hurt your system if you mess up.)

adduser is sort of a shortcut--an automation.  It adds a new entry to
/etc/passwd to represent the new user, creates a home directory, fills
out the new home directory with some settings files, and maybe some
other things.  You could learn a lot by examining what it does to
/etc/passwd.  While you're at it, look at /etc/group (which is a list of
groups, group ids, and members).  I'm pretty sure there are man pages on
these two files.

I must caution you.  Never manually enter a user's password into
/etc/passwd.  Those passwords are encrypted, so even if you enter
"elvis" as the password, the user cannot log in with the password
"elvis".  If you're manually making a user, don't enter a password at
all; leave the password field blank.  A blank field looks like :: (look
in /etc/passwd and you'll know what I mean).  After editing the file,
use the passwd command to set the user's password; it'll encrypt it for
you.

Wonder what a * password means?  Any user with a * in his password field
cannot log in.