On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, A.M. (Tony) Finnis wrote:
> Hi All -
> I have recently obtained an Acer 620ST Scanner which works OK under Windows.
> This scanner has an 'Acard' AEC6710D PCI Ultra - SCSI-3 adapter, which from
> the 'Acard Technology' website uses the atp870u.o driver.
> On inspection in 'Mandrake 6.0', this file is located in :-
>       /lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/scsi/atp870u.o
> Can someone please advise me the correct procedures to get this scanner up
> and running under linux.
> I have looked at the 'sane' info and website and also all driver module
> information I have been able to find, but being a relative newbie to linux,
> I am rather confused.
> Any information and help regarding the above will be much appreciated.

I had to install a SCSI card after I'd built my system
(needed to FDISK a SCSI drive that Windows wouldn't let me
FDISK because it had OS/2 on the drive!) and I played
around and did an "insmod advansys.o" from the appropriate
directory and then mounted the hard drive on a mount point
I'd created for it.
However, I'm not sure how to get that module PERMANENTLY
installed, although I suspect it would be something you
could add to the boot script. Right now I don't need to
have SCSI support on a regular basis, so I'm not worried
about it. But, that should get you started in the right
direction. As always, RTFM will be your best bet. :-)