-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Rick Fry
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 10:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Linux and the modem

As far as I'm concerned, WinModems and ALL HCF modems rate down there along
with Rockwell's original RPI modem. Leave the processing power in the MODEM.
Don't expect the CPU to handle the tasks. WinModems don't even work all that
well in Windows. Why should we expect them to work at all in Linux or any
other operating system? The only reason they're as popular as they are is
because they're CHEAP!!! Wholesalers can buy them CHEAP and they can sell
them to you CHEAP. Believe me, CHEAP ain't always good. I used to work for a
fellow that had a medium priced sound system store. He had a sign that said
"We don't mind competitors that sell their products for less. Some folks
just don't care if the get their oats AFTER the horse has eaten them."

----Original Message Follows----
From: Singer XJ Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 > Kernal 2.4.x series will support WinModems. Linux has already called
for a
 > Feature Freeze for 2.4.x in a week. Remeber. the upgrade from 2.2 to
2.4

     OK, we're freezing features in a week for 2.4, and there's currently
(even in 2.3.11) no support for Winmodems--not even a hint of it, but
it's going to be there for 2.4?  Somehow I don't think so.  Maybe over
the course of 2.4.x (that is, before we get to 2.6.x) it may be
integrated, but I doubt even that.

     Considering that each Winmodem is potentially a completely different
device, I really don't think we're going to see this any time soon--nor
do I think the developers should waste their time on it.

     XFS, OTOH, sounds seriously cool.

< John May - Computer Technician >
< E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
< webpage: http://www.cybergeek.org >