On 15-Aug-99 Harry Ellis wrote:
> My US Robotics 33.6 modem dials my ISP, they "talk", the Kppp reads
> connected, but nothing works.
>
> I've installed Venus 6.0 as the only os on a stand alone pentium, trying
> both the Linuxconfig and the Kppp to connect. I'm hoping someone will
> recognize this as a problem they've previously solved.
>
> I can see packets going out when I ping with a remote DNS, or try an
> Internet address in Netscape. Same with mail. But when I check "details"
> while connected, the information is always the same: 19 packets in
> (always), no more packets in, and a growing number of packets out while my
> computer keeps sending.

My gf had the same exact problem (i.e. all her settings were correct, she could
send data but not receive).  What fixed it for her was something that's been
suggested a lot lately on this list for improving connection speeds:  In kppp's
setup, type in 'novj' (without the quotes) as a pppd option, to disable Van
Jacobsen Compression.

Good luck, I hope that works for you.

-Tom