[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 16 Aug, pete moss wrote:
> > when i run x windows in 24 bit color mode, i get horizontal lines of
> > noise on the screen whenever i move a window or something on the
> > screen.  i have a diamond stealth 3d 4000 card with a s3 virge gx2
> > chipset.  i am running the svga xserver.  my card works fine at that
> > depth, looks good in x windows (aside from the noise) and worked fine in
> > MS windows.  anyone have any tips or ideas on how to fix it?  it doesnt
> > do this in lower color depths, or at screen res lower than 1024x768.
> > does anyone have a similar card or chipset that might know how to fix
> > the problem?
>
> I've got a Stealth 3D 4000 also.  Mine's got 4MB RAM, is AGP, and I get
> noise on 1152x864, 24bpp- not lower.  I believe it has to do with the
> refresh rates that the card supports.  You might try manually tweaking
> modelines in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  I mean to do this eventually, but
> haven't gotten around to it yet.  Other than this, I don't know how
> to fix it.  I'd suggest learning to live with it, or stick to a lower
> resolution/color depth.

yup, ive got the same card.  what exactly do you mean by tweaking?  what
do i tweak?  i intend to figure this out because i really cant stand
that noise!  if i find that it is unfixable, then i will consider
getting another card.
please give me details on what i should change about the modelines.

> > also, why does the buttons in netscape go grayscale when i do -bpp 24,
> > but they are color at other times?
>
> Because of a bug in Netscape.

any idea on a workaround to this?  will this ever be fixed?  i had this
same problem on an older version.  sad to see it hasnt changed.

:P