I don't know about the symbolic link, but you should be able to find the
XFree86-VGA server on the disk.  It is probably under
/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS.  Then install the VGA server.  I had the same
problem with my Voodoo Banshee.  Installed the VGA server, then installed
the 3DFX drivers and it worked fine.

        Bret Craw