Ronald J. Hall wrote:

On Friday 29 November 2002 11:04 am, you wrote:

So them how do aliases fit into the grand scheme of things in linux.

John

John, let me give you an example of how aliases work for me. I use WineX to play Windog games under Linux. Sometimes, the commands to start these games are a little, well..."long winded". For example, to run Half-Life here, I use the command (all one line):

winex /home/darklord/.transgaming/c_drive/SIERRA/Half-Life/hl.exe -console -gl -gldrv Default -w 1024 -game MOD

Obviously, typing this in all the time would be a real drag, so I put an alias into /home/darklord/.bashrc (all one line):

alias halflife='winex /home/darklord/.transgaming/c_drive/SIERRA/Half-Life/hl.exe -console -gl -gldrv Default -w 1024 -game MOD'

Now, I just type in "halflife" and the game starts.

Its just another way to make life easier for yourself... :-)

That sounds an interesting idea, so when I run NT now called d4x and because
the gui lacks a tab to tell nt that after a cutoff and ISP reconnect it must go
reconnect to the web address again, I could set up an alias that would
not only put up nt but also save me the bother of having to put up a terminal
and type nt -r , which means reconnect, and include it with the command to
initiate nt gui as well. Possible ?

NT sits in /usr/bin/nt
additional command nt -r

can I make an alias that combines the two

with a simple terminal command nt

John

--
John Richard Smith