Michel Clasquin wrote:

On Friday 29 November 2002 18:04, John Richard Smith wrote:

I see, so symlinks aid initiation by linking commands to devices
and apps and as such
are quite different in nature from a pipe which is , if I
understand correctly, a way
of diverting a stream of data , refered to as standard output, to
the imput side,
refered to as standard input, of another programme.

So them how do aliases fit into the grand scheme of things in
linux.

Aliases only work on the bash command line AFAIK, and in other shells that support them, while symlinks work just as well in a GUI. Also, an alias can contain parameters: if you're tired of typing rm -f all the time, you can set an alias called rm to that. Then typing <rm myfile> will actually be understood as <rm -f myfile>. Unless you give the full pathname </usr/bin/rm myfile>, then the alias will be ignored.

Of course, just to muddy the waters even further, it is possible to write a little shell script with all the parameters you want and symlink or alias to THAT! <g>

Ah yes, Linux, never give a user one way to do things when he could have six ...

OK, so whereas symlinks are system functional, aliases are bash script functional
and in effect save time and effort initiating programmes that are themselves various
versions of bash, and bash scripts, like perl, and python, but then forgive me if I'm wrong
but haven't I seen aliases that start programmes, which in themselves are not bash
scripts, or is that not so , and in fact there is a bash script but it's embedded in some way
so you don't really see it in some file that starts the whole app.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]