>What's the sence to set up different mount points for / , /usr ,  /home ,
>/anything_else if all of them are located on a single harddrive. I can
>understand this steps for /boot 'cause it must be located in first 1023
>cyls, but what about / , /usr  do you really need the separate diskspaces?
>
>It looks like disk partitions under DOS/Windows, but the ideo of splitting
>disks there is separating and more comfortable storage of information. At
>the same time all the mount points you make are connected do the same
>directory tree... I do not understand the sence of it...

Well, for one thing if you do a reinstall or an upgrade you can leave all
of your downloaded and installed apps alone.  Linux doesn't have a registry
and I hope it never does, it is a pain in the a** to have to reload every
program if something in the OS dies.   This happens more in Windows,
believe me.  Once you get to know Linux you may want to reinstall for
practice setting up a machine, if you are learning like me, or if you want
to do massive changes to the way you configured it last time or you really
jacked up some config files doing it by hand.
Brian