Give the distribution that comes with the book a try.  If you find you
like Linux then look at getting a newer version.  The advantage of the
newer versions is that a lot of the setup has been simplified and the
usual bug fixes are in place.

You might want to aim your book purchase at one that has a distribution
that is relatively current, RedHat 5.1, or the latest Caldera.

Another option is buying a distribution of Mandrake that McMillan
Publishing puts out.  It comes with a CD with 3 on-line books.  The
rub here though is that you either have to be running windows and use
Adobe Acrobat to read them or get your Linux up and running and then
install Acrobat from the CD.