----- Original Message -----
From: James Schofield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 1999 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] failing to unmount

> If you go to the updates page of the Mandrake site it has a blurb on this
bug.

> Everyone should be updating their kernel to 2.2.9-27 anyway because of a
> security bug... but this as well as the initscripts is what is needed to
> fix the unmount bug..

Don't know if the kernel upgrade specifically address anything to do with
the unmounting bug (i have my doubts as all i updated were the init scripts
and then the problem went away), but it's certainly not true to say everyone
should upgrade the kernel because of the security bug.

I don't have a modem in my PC - i have a laptop running W98 for work, and
use that instead. Therefore, as the Linux box is never connected to anyone
except itself, this means no security threat !!

> I have that bug as well.. I have updated initscripts.. I need to download
> and update the kernel now.. OH NO!! LOL!! hopefully I wont bugger up my
system

Okay, i haven't read the updates page - but didn't the unmount problem go
away after just upgrading the initscripts ??

[SNIP]

Martin.