On 25 Aug, Alan  Schussman wrote:
> Since I sent the first message, my inital problem is back: WindowMaker is
> again trying to load multiple panels and loads mulitple gmc windows at
> startup, even after I close those windows and save the session. Am I doing
> something wrong? Where are these things coming from? It worked fine
> through several restarts of X yesterday, but first thing this morning, the
> problem is back.

Most likely, these are being loaded from an rc (run control) file.  It
will be in your home directory, and if WindowMaker is the only one that
does this, look for a .wmaker directory, or maybe a .wmakerrc file or
something to that effect.  If all window managers do it, inspect your
~/.xinitrc or ~/.Xclients file (remember that in UNIX paths, ~ [a tilde]
stands for your home directory).

> What I ended up doing is replacing ~/GNUstep/Defaults/* with unmodified
> files from another account, and correcting a few path arguments in
> 'WindowMaker'.

Ah, right- I think WindowMaker files, like AfterStep, would probably
under GNUStep.  I don't run WindowMaker, so I can't tell you for sure.

> is there a way to tell WindowMaker to absolutely return to default
> settings?
Um... delete any and all files pertaining to it (from your home
directory, that is).

> Second, since making that file switch, running certain commands in the
> "Run program" dialog seems to freeze up WM. Programs that I would expect
> to run in a terminal window, like telnet or ftp, when I try to enter them
> in the "run" box, hang up the whole system.

I'll make a guess here (again, I don't run WindowMaker, so I can't be
sure)- I don't know why it's locking up, but unlike Windows, running a
program that requires a text console does not open up a terminal
window.  Remember, X is running on top of a text console already- any
output from the program will be directed to the console that X is
running on.  If you open a terminal window _first_ and then type the
command into that window, the program gets associated with that
terminal, and all output goes there (i.e. to /dev/pts/0) instead of the
console X is running on (i.e. /dev/tty1).  However, X should not lock
up because of this.

> CTRL-ALT-DEL usually recovers and drops me back to shell, but it doesn't
> always do the trick; I had to manually power down once. Did I break
> something by switching in the other files? Can I fix this one somehow?

You probably did break something, by replacing _some_ of the files
instead of deleting the entire ~/GNUStep directory tree and starting
afresh.  Or, rather I suppose you could just delete
GNUStep/Library/WMaker (or whatever WindowMaker runs from) instead of
the whole GNUStep tree.

I hope this all makes sense to you.  If all else fails, I suppose you
could create a new user account and selectively copy over files you
want to keep.  Although, I'd say that's an extreme option.
--
-Matt Stegman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>