Thanks for the suggestions, Matt. I've removed all the files I think were
pertinent to both gnome and windowmaker, and it appears that things are
again functioning normally.

Here's one more general question for folks: Before I did the above, I
tried a trick I found in the gnome documentation (surprise!) that
describes completely resetting a user session, right back to new defaults.
The docs say to hold down CTRL-SHIFT as you log in to gnome, and you'll
get a dialog box that allows you to reset the session. But, at least on my
PC, holding down CTRL-SHIFT didn't do anything. Has anybody used that
option? Is there another way to invoke it?

- alan

/ note my new email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] /