On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> I keep reading--"never surf the web for security reasons." Just exactly what
> type of security risks are we talking about here? Maybe a dumb question but
> a legitimate one. Please help me with my ignorance!
> John

Definitely a good question. The main reason is that it opens you up
to hostile apps and other things. Say you happen to download a
program and compile it. Say that program is a "trojan horse" that
gives someone else "root" access to your system from remote. Now,
that won't work if you don't compile and execute it as "root."

That's just one example. I'm sure others here who are more
knowledgeable about this sort of thing will be able to tell you
better! :-)
        John