Manny Styles wrote:

> [...]

I want to "ring in" on this one before people get the wrong
impression...

Simply logging in as root while online is NOT a security problem.  Being
a normal user while online does not decrease the chances of a malicious
cracker breaking into your machine and trashing the system.  Network
daemons (ftp, imap, pop, telnet, Apache, etc, etc) are the things that
will result in cracked systems from remote users no matter who you
"surf" as.

The decrease in risk comes from any possible problems there might be in
applications you run on the network as that user.  If you fire up IRC as
a normal user and someone hacks that application, the only damage they
can do is to files and directories that you own.  If you IRC as root,
you own the entire system and you put all of it at risk.  Similarly, a
buglet in Netscape that erases your home directory might be a little
bothersome (if you don't have backups!) as a normal user could be
disastrous as root.

And THAT'S why you should NEVER surf as root.
--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator