To those that offered suggestions, many thanks.  I followed all of them, and
a bunch that I got from the web, to no avail.  Probably what I did was
follow so many that I combined things that wouldn't work together.  What
solved the problem, sort of, is that I ran into the problem of the file
systems that wouldn't unmount at shutdown and ended up having to re-install
Linux.  On a hunch (yes, newbies get them sometimes) I opted not to
configure the local network, then I followed the instructions provided by my
ISP for the umpteenth time, and this time it worked!  So, the problem must
lie in some unresolved conflict between the local network and the setups for
connecting to the ISP.  Even though I did put the correct info the
resolv.conf file, perhaps there's something else that's needed?
Suggestions?

Oh, by the way... to the "gentleman" that wondered what would possess me to
post such a question to this list:

Actually, I made the mistake of not specifying that I was using the Mandrake
version of RH6.  So sorry.  Even so, what would possess me is that,
obviously, there are more than a few folks on the list who are more
interested in helping people than in making useless comments like yours, as
evidenced by the number of helpful (including yours), if not successful,

Have a nice day!

Thanks,

Don