Westbrook wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just purchased a nice computer with a large HD. I also purchased
> System Commander for the purpose of dual booting between Win 98 and
> Linux. I have Caldera 2.2, RedHat 6.0, and Mandrake 6. I have not had
> very good luck setting any of them up in a dual boot environment. I
> have managed to set them all up but they destroy my Win98 setup in the
> process (4 different times). Actually the Partitions are still there
> but they have been converted to "non-dos" partitions.

Sounds like you installed Linux into the Windows partitions.  Does the
advice "Don't do that!" go without saying? :)

> Is there anyone out there who could take the time and help me figure
> out what I am doing wrong? Again, I can set Linux up to run properly
> (or at least it appears to run properly), I have done the basic setup
> several times. My question is "how can I do it and keep my Windows?"

Just make sure to use a portion of your drive that doesn't belong to
Linux.

During installation, do NOT choose Server or Workstation.  Opt for
Custom instead so you can tell it where you want it installed.

> Also, System commander says something about using root super block and
> not the MBR. It also says this is chosen during setup, but I've missed
> it each time somewhere.

Near the end of the installation, it will ask whether you want LILO
installed on hda or hda1.  Sounds like System Commander wants you to use
hda1.

Why use System Commander?  LILO will allow you to dual-boot right out of
the box.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator