Russ,
The only way to change partition size and add or delete partitions
without
losing data is with Partition Magic or Partition It.  The standard dos
fdisk
will destroy the data for sure.  I would not live in this current world
without Partition Magic from PowerQuest.  (and I don't work for them)
You can reduce the size of a partition with PM and then install LM in
the
free space.  If this is a huge drive, you can move the DOS/Windows
partition
up a little and when installing LM, put the /boot partition at the
beginning
of the drive. (below the 1024 limit)