On Tue, 25 June 2002, "g2" wrote

> Hi,
>
> its me again.  i successfully installed kinput2 and
>freewin RPM on my Linux Mandrake 8.2 as well as the
>Japanese fonts, but shift+space and ctrl+/ is still not
>working.  how can i input hiragana, katakana and kanji?
>what applications do they usually can be used for?  i
>tried it on advnace editor and kWord but still not
>working.  is there something i missed?  my default
>language is English and I just like to make Japanese
>available for my console cause my job requires some
>Japanese documents.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it yesterday, but kinput is a
kana / kanji server. So if you want it to catch the
shift-space command, it should run first.

- Open a terminal;
- Type kinput2 <return>

Then try shift-space i an application that supports
Japanese. It should work.

> also, i already configured my keyboard to 106 japanese
>but none of those extra keys work.  I tried to edit the
>key binding configuration but it cant detect the extra
>keys.

The keyboard should not matter. I mean, if the keyboard
is wrong, it may not work properly, but for sure, toggle
the Japanese input with shift-space will work. I use a
plain
qwerty keyboard (settings = US, not international).

>is the windows key really not working in mandrake?

What is the windows key? What is windows, by the way?