g2 wrote

> Hi,
>
> how can I input Japanese characters in Mandrake Linux
> 8.2?  Is there something like IME where in i can
choose
> my input locale?
>
> what RPMs should I install?
>
> thanks!

I installed Japanese a few times (since 8.0), but each
time, I choosed japanese as the install language.
It goes very fine in 8.2. Basically nothing to
configure.

The input method is kinput2, which is installed
automagically.

If you want to install Japanese on an English system,
you have to install the input method (kinput2), but also
Japanese fonts.

And to toggle Japanese / Latin characters, press
shift-space.

Pascal