I have been exploring, trying to find out what is happening (or not)
with these devices that I can't get working.  Twice today I have got
into the Control Panel, Information, and asked for information about usb
  devices, then found the Control Panel locked up.  It can be minimised,
but not closed.

I could find no way out, so I had to ask for a shutdown.  I got
messages about failures due to 'illegal seek'.  On re-starting there
appears to have been massive damage (both times, so I daren't try again)
requiring a manual fsck to repair it.  Now my system is up, but my sound
has disappeared.  I'll just have to hope I haven't done irreparable damage.

Meanwhile, how should one deal with a problem like this?  I know 'kill'
is supposed to get you out of trouble, but you need to know what you're
going to kill, don't you?

All help gratefully received.

Anne