>Meanwhile, how should one deal with a problem like this?  I know 'kill'
>is supposed to get you out of trouble, but you need to know what you're
>going to kill, don't you?

First see if sndconfig (as root) can bring your sound back.
Secondly, I would advise you to get GPS (Graphical PS). http://gps.seul.org

This will show you all running processes in a window and allows you to Hang
Up (SIGHUP) or kill (SIGKILL) processes through a buttonpress.

You can also sort processes on prio, CPU usage and more, to make finding
them easier.

hope this helps,
Paul

--
If a person gives you his time,
he can give you no more precious gift.

http://nlpagan.net    -    Linux Mandrake 8.2     -   Sylpheed 0.7.7
Help Microsoft combat software piracy: give Linux to a friend today!