On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:56:09 +0530
"L.V.Gandhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What to do for sound?
> When I first tried to play
> mplayer /mnt/wind/LailaOhLaila.avi
> AO: [oss] 44100Hz Stereo Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
> ao2: 44100 Hz  2 chans  Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
> Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy  -> no sound
> couldn't open/init audio device -> NOSOUND
> Audio: no sound!!!

.. actually there can be a lot of possibilities, that message
says the soundcard is busy, nothing more..

do you have any other sound-intensive programs open? ( xmms, etc )
are you using KDE and have aRTS enabled?
does any movie file play correctly?

my guess would be the second one, maybe? if it is, try going
into KDE control panel, to the "sound" section, in there
you will see a "sound server" options page. turn the soundserver
off, then try again.

if you are not using KDE, then i'm sorry but this may be beyond
my reach...

Damian