Thanks for the detailed reply.
for the command
[lvgandhi@localhost lvgandhi]$ gmplayer -ao oss trackmatte.mov

Can't find codec for audio format 0x706C6351 !
Audio: no sound!!!

 gmplayer -ao help
Available audio output drivers:
        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
        null    Null audio output
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES audio output
        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
        plugin  Plugin audio output

 gmplayer -ao pcm /mnt/wind/LailaOhLaila.avi
AO: [pcm] 44100Hz Stereo Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
PCM: File: audiodump.wav (WAVE)
PCM: Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
PCM: Info: fastest dumping is achieved with -vo null -hardframedrop.
PCM: Info: to write WAVE files use -waveheader (default); for RAW PCM
-nowaveheader.
But I don't hear the sound

I can play xawtv and xmms.
Whether it has anything to do with soundwrapper?

--
L.V.Gandhi
203, Soundaryalahari Apartments, Lawsons Bay colony, Visakhapatnam, 530017