On Wednesday 26 June 2002 07:28 am, Charlie did speak unto the huddled
masses, saying:

> > first of all, in order for their plan to work, they would need to force
> > every single windoze user to "upgrade" to their paladium hardware,
> > which i don't think they'll be able to do easily.
>
> I didn't think there would be nearly as many people willing to buy the
> last version of Win 9x as did either. "Never underestimate the power of
> human stupidity," nor the power of OEMs and hardware manufacturers to
> play along with anything "His Billness" conceives. Under the heading
> "anything for a buck."

while this _was_ true it followed a certain pattern.  MS "gotta have it!"
nuts first, then work force, then universities that had no backbone next,
home users last.  the number of gotta have its has dropped off after the
trial and the terrible pricing of XP and nightmare of both ME and XP.
companies are leaving in droves.  countries are declaring "OSS or else" and
places are offering machines with linux installed.  by the time they finish
the product they may have some trouble selling it....

> > second, concerning web access/trusted applications, etc... if
> > about 50% of the internet runs under UNIX/Linux/BSD servers,
>
> It's been established as fact for years that MS has as one of it's
> primary goals the utter control, if not outright 'ownership' of the
> entire internet. Or at the very least to be able to force others to
> accept their "embraced and extended" protocols as the defacto standards.

yet some companies, countries, people are learning to stand clear or else.
will enough stand clear in time?

> I again refer you to the Heinlein quote above regarding my perception of
> the native intelligence of a large portion of the human race. The vast
> majority can't think at the best of times. Not creatively or
> independently at any rate. Case in point? Have you actually paid any
> attention to the absurd marketing schemes on
> TV/Radio/Newspapers/Websites?

very true, yet it is a case of "some of the people all of the time."  they
need the kind of % they have with IE as a browser, yet it requires a whole
new OS and new hardware?  and must interact with the web (mostly *nix
servers) which won't go there unless forced.  i have doubts.

> If a person can devise a tool to make any of this possible there _will_
> be another person clever enough to break it. I hope the breakage happens
> before the proposal gets off the ground myself.

and if the whole machine is secure from hardware to OS, and forces all you
info/data/life to be involved, that one break in is _very_bad.

single point of failure for your life anyone?

> > i sincerely hope they go along with their plan. it will be nice
> > to watch them bite the dust and lose a couple hundred billions...
>
> MS has made billions through "knowing what makes the frog jump."

and had many a mistake made along the way.  generally they gamble small
things on the far reaching points and fail.  gamble big on minor toys and
get away with it.  a combo of this, legal actions and xbox may just do them
in......

besides, the promise of win 95 is still not complete and we are, what, 5
versions later?

this should be done in about 30 years.  20 years after MS is a "where are
they now?" company.  ;)

- --
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the
fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into
it in the first place." -DOUGLAS ADAMS, Author

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/