On Saturday 29 Jun 2002 9:21 pm, Barry Michels wrote:
> The way I look at it, if I run out of space somewhere and have more space
> on another partition, I'm screwed, right?  So, isn't it better to have one
> big / partiton?

You are correct. That is why my laptop which only has a 2G HD uses one big '/'
partition. You can resize and move partitions, but that is obviously a pain.

> What's the benefit to having separate /, /home, /var, etc?

You will notice the benefit to separate /home /opt and /etc directories when
you upgrade to Mandrake 9.0. Performing an 'upgrade' to a distro is still not
as reliable as users would like, and many people are more comfortable with a
fresh install right down to reformatting the partitions. If you have just one
big '/' partition that would mean you would lose all your user data in /home,
all your configuration settings in /etc and all your 'extra' applications you
mat have put in /opt.  So by having separate partitions you can reformat '/'
and '/usr' without destroying all the other data.
Also if you were running a heavy duty server you would want to have different
partitions to optimise HD performance, but that is not usually a
consideration in a desktop system.

derek