Hello,

On 2002.06.30, at 06:16, Derek Jennings wrote:

> On Saturday 29 Jun 2002 9:56 pm, Barry Michels wrote:
>> So, are there any recommendations on size for these different
>> partitions?
>> I've got a 60gb drive that I want to dedicate to Linux.  The 100GB and
>> 120GB are going to be for miscellaneous storage.
>
> Recommendations?  Hmm.. Well first of all remember that almost everyone
> changes their partitions when they upgrade because they got it wrong
> first
> time :-) Also *everyone* has their own opinion. There is no 'right way'.
>
> Here is what I have at present (and why)
>
> /         2.3GB 28% full
>
> /usr     6.5GB  30% full  (almost every app goes in here so it needs to
> be
> big)

Yes, these are reasonable figures.
And if you take into account that there are 7 CDs for one distro, and
that
you have 2 cds of source, 5 CDs if you install everything (very
unlikely),
will represent 5 x 650 = 3250 MBytes.
Mandrake's auto-format creates a 3.4 GB root partition, at least if your
HD allows it.
So it sounds like in most of the cases, you will not install more than
3.4 GB
in the root partition.
So with a disk like 60 GB, I would simply let Mandrake installer take
care of everything.

Pascal.