Barry Michels wrote:

>The way I look at it, if I run out of space somewhere and have more space on
>another partition, I'm screwed, right?  So, isn't it better to have one big
>/ partiton?
>
>What's the benefit to having separate /, /home, /var, etc?
>

>Barry

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, scenario...

You have kde the way you want it.  You have a lot of data in /home.

Now along comes 9.0

If you have a separate /home, you install 9.0 without formatting /home

If you have everything in / then you use "Upgrade" and cross your
fingers, or you use "upgrade packages only"  and ponder how to change
links and add new things from 9.0

Civileme